Certification according to UV STANDARD 801 can be applied for by companies from the textile industry, textile finishing industry and clothing industry as well as retailers, retail chains and mail-order retailers.
Certification according to the UV STANDARD 801 confirms the effective UV protection provided by your textiles and convinces the consumer of the reliable protective effect of your products.
- only textile materials certified according to UV STANDARD 801 provide reliable UV protection
- secure your product in the marketplace with the protected label from an independent test association
- clear product information at a glance
- clearly visible protection level for your product
- material optimisation during development
- EU-wide labelling and acceptance
- emphasis on the quality of your products with product labelling
- swimwear and beachwear
- sportswear and outdoor clothing
- leisure wear and hiking clothing
- head gear
- professional workwear (e.g. jackets, t-shirts, hats, caps with neck protection) and much more.
To establish the protective properties of textiles or other flat materials, the test determines how much UV radiation passes through the material and how much is deflected.
- Submit your test application and material sample to a test institute of the International Testing Association for Applied UV Protection: at least 1 m² of each material and colour and, for clothing, one sketch, illustration or similar for each ready-made product.
- The materials submitted for certification are assigned to the article group Clothing Materials or Shading Materials in accordance with the specifications. Depending on the assignment, the product samples are then subject to various testing programmes, either for Clothing Materials or Shading Materials.
- After the test, the applicant receives a test report which gives the UV protection factors for all test steps.
Note: The tested material may only be used and advertised as such for ready-made clothing if the underlying requirements relating to the UV protection objective for locations normally exposed to direct sunlight are met. This is a customer obligation and does not form part of the material testing.
- UPF ≥ 10
- product complies with basic requirements of UV protection objective
- application of certification and declaration of conformity are complete and signed
If the product to be certified meets the above prerequisites, the applicant will receive a certificate for the products in the application, valid for one year. The applicant also has the right to label these products with the UV STANDARD 801. Certification is possible according to the levels UPF 10, 15, 20, 30, 40, 60 or 80 whereby the value achieved in the test is devalued to the next lowest level.
The product may also be included in the UV STANDARD 801 product database, if requested.
Only the lowest determined UV protection factor under all test conditions is listed on the certificate. The UV protection factors for all test steps are only listed in the test report.
- entry in the product database
A UV STANDARD 801 hang tag can also be ordered if required. The hangtag is not included in the certification services.
After the regular one-year certificate duration, it is possible to renew the certificate and the permission to continue using the UV STANDARD 801 label.
To apply for this, the applicant must again submit sufficient, representative sample material for a random sample test, as well as the applicationand the associated declaration of conformity.
Significant changes to the product or not pass of a sample check mean that new certification is necessary as this now relates to a different product. A failed sample check will also result in recertification because the product does not meet the original characteristics.
During the one-year duration of a valid certificate, it can be extended to include further colours within a material quality. The new samples are subject to the complete testing programme to confirm that they comply with the UV protection factor of the initial test.
This does not extend the duration of the certificate.
The UV STANDARD 801 label
Just looking at or touching a textile material is never enough to establish how well this will protect you from UV radiation. A vague advertising slogan or the product description alone are usually inadequate.
The UV STANDARD 801 provides consumers with guidance when they are making a purchase. After all, it is the proof of UV protection as verified by an independent third party, recognisable by the protected label from the test association. The eye-catching UV STANDARD 801 label enjoys Europe-wide recognition, clearly displaying quality or safety of the labelled products.
The label can be issued only with UPF 10, 15, 20, 30, 40, 60 or 80, depending on the result.
The UV STANDARD 801 hangtag
Depending on requirements, a hangtag can also be ordered for the certified product in addition to the label included with certification.
The UV STANDARD 801 hangtag attached to the product includes additional information on textile UV protection. It enables the consumer to determine their own skin type and the “adequate” UV protection factor for it via a table.
The valid certificate is a prerequisite for both promotional UV STANDARD 801 labels.
A listing in the certified products database can really round off the presence of your product in the market. It is a source of information that is equally useful for consumers and business partners.